The Farsight Award
The Farsight Award rewards the best individual piece of analysis done by an investment research institution that integrates traditional financial analysis with longer-term environmental, social & governance issues. The winner receives a trophy, a lecture opportunity at Gresham College and recognition on the London Accord.
First created by Z/Yen in 2006, with support from Gresham College, Universities Superannuation Scheme and the London Accord, this award scheme ran independently until 2008. Since 2009, the Farsight Award is an award category of the Sustainable City Awards organised by the London Sustainability Exchange. The Sustainable City Awards recognise and reward UK organisations, from multinational businesses to small charities, and promote outstanding achievements and innovation across all aspects of sustainability.
The Farsight Award 2016/17 is now open for entries. All reports on finance and environmental, social & governance (ESG) issues that have been released on the London Accord website are automatically considered for the Farsight Award. Similarly to the past two editions, the judges also encourage research submissions that look at the challenges and opportunities facing cities around the world from a sustainability and financing perspective, including on the engineering, finance and risk management products required to meet the challenge of delivering resilient infrastructure for a planet of 10 billion people.
The judging panel convenes between December and January each year to decide on the shortlisted, winner and highly commended reports based on the criteria of originality, readability & clarity, sophistication & depth as well as financial usefulness. The shortlisted reports are announced in January each year, and the winner is announced during the Sustainable City Awards ceremony which usually takes place in March.
Farsight Award 2015/16
Nine reports were shortlisted out of 38 reports considered. The winner and runner up were announced during the Sustainable City Awards ceremony on 2 March 2016 hosted by the London Sustainability Exchange at Mansion House, London (press release), along with a highly commended entry.
- Winner of the Farsight Awards 2015/16 – Deutsche Bank for their report "The Logistics of Supply Chain Alpha".
- Runner Up of the Farsight Award 2015/16 – Barclays for their report "Climate Change: Warming Up For COP-21".
- Highly Commended 2015/16 – Dr Nick Goddard and Long Finance for their report "Uses and Abuses of Discount Rates: A Primer For The Wary".
Other shortlisted reports:
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch - "Feed the World: Global Food Security Primer" (March 2015)
- Deutsche Bank - "A Darwinian Approach To Detecting Accounting Irregularities" (March 2015)
- HSBC - "Stranded Assets: What Next?" (April 2015)
- HSBC - "No Water, More Trade-Offs: Managing China's Growth with Limited Water" (August 2015)
- J.P. Morgan - "Impact Assessment in Practice - Experience from Leading Impact Investors" (May 2015)
- MSCI - "Can ESG Add Alpha?" (June 2015)
Find out more about: